February 11, 2010 Leave a comment
Wow, I can’t believe this is not available in the options and that we have to resort to edit config files.
Anyway, big thanks to Euan for this tip :
- Close SQL Server Management Studio.
- Open this file in a text editor
Win XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\SQL Server Management Studio\Settings\CurrentSettings\<yyyy-mm-dd>.vssettings
Win Vista/7: C:\Users\<username>\Documents\SQL Server Management Studio\Settings\CurrentSettings\<yyyy-mm-dd>.vssettings
- Search for “AnimationSpeed” and replace the existing value (5) with your desired speed; 10 being the fastest choice, I do not know what is the lowest (1?). Save.
- Open SQL Server Management Studio and it should now animate at your desired speed.
A couple of notes:
- <yyyy-mm-dd> is a time stamp because several versions of the config file are saved with different names. Obviously, you will want to edit the one with the most recent date
- In addition to setting the animation speed, there is also a setting called Animation that can be set to false and will eliminate the animations altogether.